Possibly the creepiest of all giant deep sea creatures, this creeper is the object of much deserved obsession.
Really excellent colossal squid facts:
- It is the largest known invertebrate EVER (39 - 46 ft long. . . and probably more colossal even!)
- It has the largest eyeballs in the animal kingdom
It has an array of sharp swiveling hooks at the tips of its tentacles, which it wields against the wide range of prey found at depth in Antarctic waters.
- It regularly battles sperm whales
- It is the only conceivable thing cooler than the giant squid
- A 1,091-pound (495-kilogram) colossal squid has been frozen in a New Zealand lab since a fishing crew accidentally caught it near Antarctica in February 2007. The researchers initially considered thawing the squid in a giant microwave oven.
- Nat Geo: "At this size, they eat pretty much whatever they like." Humans?!. . .yes.